Re: The rough edges ...

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:28:17 -0800, Gerald Gutierrez <gutier@intergate.bc.ca>
wrote:

>> Windows isn't just thrown at you in its
>> various components, its packaged and configured as part of windows install
>> process.
>
>Windows the core package offered little for me. I installed the word
>processor, graphics applications, compilers and other utilities myself.
>What did I do .. I clicked on an icon, confirmed some defaults and waited.
>Is it wrong to have this type of automation when one cannot be bothered
>with the details?

There is a difference between expecting applications to install seamlessly
and expecting the underlying components to install seamlessly. Asking the
user to make a one-line change to ~/.Xclients is about the same difficulty as
having the user edit their C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file under DOS 6.2 to start
Windows 3.x.

>> And it took Windows until like what, 3.0 to be usable?  Gnome is usable
>> right now at 1.0.
>
>Sorry, I simply cannot agree. GNOME 1.0 is the only thing that, in my
>experience, crashes more often than Windows.

Thanks for qualifying this with "in my experience". Please understand that
people do have things working 95% trouble-free, and that it is hard for them
to see where you are coming from.

For your problems, get latest gnome-libs, get latest mc, if bad things still
happen, please file bug reports.

>Do applications remember wihch directory the user visited last so that if
>s/he needs to open multiple files it's unnecessary to traverse the
>directory tree multiple times?

It depends on the application. I tried ghex and found that it didn't.

Please file a bug report in the bug tracking system if you consider this
important.
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg