Re: Gnome weirdness

> Today I started my machine, did s startx, and this time Gnome brought up a
> plain blue background, no picture, and the mouse acts strangely.
> Before, I could middle click the background for a menu, now this doesn't work.
> Oh, it gets worse, there  now seems to be no way to grab and move a window!
> About the only thing functionuing is the menu button.
> I can run the Gnome control panel fro it, and it works ( sort of, pops up
> windows in many strange and overlapping ways, see bitch about no moving
> windows for joyof this problem!).
>
> What on earth could have happened to my little gnome?

It sounds like your window manager does no longer start when you start
gnome. Which window manager did you use? You can try typing the name of
it in an xterm. Then if you logout from gnome and log in again, the
window manager should be there.

The question is what stopped it from running, probably a bug somewhere.

If you had E, try typing "enlightenment &"   (without quotes)
If you had icewm, try "icewm &"
fvwm, "fvwm &"
Window Maker, "wmaker &"
and so on...