Re: My first impression and goodbye

Dave Glowacki wrote:

> > > I guess I'll try kde next and see what the difference is.
> >
> > "If Netscape doesn't get it's act together, I'm switching to Explorer!"
> > Been there, heard that, didn't give a crap about it before.
>
> "You're a whiny newbie, I don't give a crap about you."
> Been there, heard that, didn't like that attitude before.
> Y'all are courting average users now, not technophilic teenagers
> with the time and skills needed to track down why a program isn't
> working.

I was simply stating that implying that he would switch to KDE was *not*
the way to get answers. And given the general tone of the message, that
isn't that far fetched of a motive.

> > Threatening to switch doesn't make it work better, and posting helpful
> > error messages, backtraces, etc. will definately get you farther than
> > the incongruous bitching you did post.
>
> I didn't see him threatening to switch ... he did say he'd try Gnome 2.0.
> >From his perspective as an average user, Gnome just isn't usable.
>
> He's absolutely correct that a 1.0 version of a program should be at
> least functional.  Most new users will give up LONG before this guy did.

Only Gnome-core and Gnome-libs are v.1.0 everything else is still in
development. Gmc, E, E-conf, Control-Center, everything. Use at your own
risk. Period.

> You gave him workarounds for his problems, but if Gnome is to work
> for the average user it needs these problems to be fixed, and those
> who try to call attention to these problems shouldn't be told to
> keep quiet.

I didn't tell him to keep quiet, I told him to post *more* info, rather
than just "it bombs" reworded 20 times. And nearly all the problems he
encountered aren't Gnome-core or Gnome-libs related. Most were E and
Gmc, neither of which are finished yet.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals