Re: Input Method of Gnome

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org> writes:

> To offer consistent environment for desktop, all translation and
> conversion should be done in one place, or it results inconsisitent,
> if each application does it by itself.

What are the benefits over the current scheme?  The applications using
the new service must in any way we changed to use the CORBA
mechanisms.  So this is not different from changing them to use XIM.
I would even say it is more difficult since the XIM methods embed
easily in existing X code.

And I also fail to see why there is currently inconstency.  All
translations and Kanji replacements are done in the input server.
There is one server for the whole system.  I must say I have not yet
used an input server extensively so I don't knowhow well this scheme
fits into focus changes etc.  But I really fail to see the major win
you are hoping for.  Could you elaborate this?