Re: esd locks the machine up solid...

I've had this problem myself on my Alpha. What I do is a cheap hack :).
Go to /usr/bin and rename esd to _esd. Next gnome-session starts it will
find that it can't start esound and then disable it. Works for me. BTW
you wouldn't be happening to be using soudn drivers from 4-front tech
would you?

Peter