Re: Gnome101 on Solaris 2.6 crashes X

>From: Brian Kurotsuchi <bkurotsu@toocool.itslab.calpoly.edu>

>I was running a Gnome 0.99.[01] system and just upgraded to 1.0.1 via the
>source tarballs.
>
>Now when I run either gnome-session or panel, it crashes X immediately
>(almost).  Gnome never pops up on the screen.  I think it stopped working
>after I ran gnome-session for the first time....usually I run panel only.

Well, I'm running 1.0.1 everything on Solaris 8_alpha, and it seems fine.

Haven't tried running gnome-session in a while, though (since 0.99.3?) - so I'd
look at that as your possible problem.  Oh, unless you're running on an Ultra5
or 10 with the standard PGX framebuffer, in which case Gnome could be tickling a
bug in the PGX driver that I think only ever made it out in a 2.6 update (I
think it was fixed before Solaris 7 shipped).  In which case you should look for
a PGX driver patch for your system?  The main known tickler of this bug is/was
Netscape - click a link that opened a Download window, and Xsun go boom, 9/10
times.

I'm using an Ultra10 with twin PGX's and this fixed, and see no problems.

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'                                             I'm the dots in .co.uk