Re: help: gnome won't run

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:39:34 -0800 (PST), James Ramsey
<jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yup. I and *at least* a few others have had this problem. (It's
>getting to be an epidemic. :-() The problem is with the /etc/hosts
>file.

1. There is no "I/O" error being produced here, so it's not obvious to me
that this is indeed the problem.

>My guess is that if you look at it, you'll see something like
>this (probably on the first line):
>
>127.0.0.1  localhost  localhost.localdomain
>
>where localhost.localdomain is supposed to be your machine's name.
>Judging from the error message, it looks like your machine's name is
>koala, so the entry in /etc/hosts should be
>
>127.0.0.1  localhost  koala

Err, this is not quite correct. You need to leave localhost.localdomain on
there. A proper line would be:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain koala koala.mydomain

The idea is to list all the hostnames & FQDN's for your host as having an IP
of 127.0.0.1, two of which are 'localhost' and 'localhost.localdomain. The
name that you want gethostbyaddr(127.0.0.1) to return (normally, the FQDN)
should be first on the line after the 127.0.0.1.

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg