Re: E/Gnome window placement quirks

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 03:32:01PM -0500, raster@redhat.com was heard to say:

> this basicalyl shows that gmc is not a managed E client - it has no
> clue gmc exists - mots likely becuase you started gmc before E started.
> - thus is fell back and used overrider-reidrect windows, bypassing the
> WM.

  No.  I started gmc after E.  But from what you said below, it sounds like
gmc tells E where to put its windows, so that doesn't help.  Am I right?

> ->   * Give each window a 'placement niceness' which determines what priority
> ->    they get (default 0).  Windows would never be placed over a window with a
> ->    lower niceness if possible.
>
> alreayd there - called layers. E arranges preferntially ased on the
> layer if the app doesnt explicitly ask for geometry.

  Ok.  Is it possible for one layer to absolutely exclude other [managed]
windows from overlapping it?  For example, the Macbar in E-Mac is pretty but
annoying due to the fact that windows tend to get lost behind it.  Can that
be fixed in the theme?

> ->    For example, I'd set the niceness of the E menu bar and dragbar to -20, the
> ->  niceness of the panel to -10, and the niceness of the gmc icons to -5.  So
> ->  the windows would be placed as follows:
>
> E's dragbar is an internal gadget - you can turn it off if you like.

  No, I _want_ it on..I just don't want my panel covering it up.  What would
have to be changed in the panel, gmc, and/or E in order for them to 'play nice'
with each other?

--
  Moths and flame.
  The glory blinds them.