Grey screen of death?

Hi all, new to the list (and Gnome)....

I've just installed the Gnome 0.99.8 RPMs for Red Hat 5.2, following the
instructions on the Gnome site.

When I fire up X (using startx, with the line 'exec gnome-sessions' in
the .xinitrc, as per instructions), I end up staring at the X startup
screen (grey, with the X cursor).... and it never finishes loading.
Removing the line from .xinitrc, X starts up fine, into my old WM.

There is an error message when I come out (using the CTL-ALT-BKSP) about
the esound driver not being able to connect to a port.... other messages
in this group indicate that this is just a diagnostic (esp. if you don't
have a sound card, like me :-(

Any thoughts?

TIA,
David Christensen