.xinitrc and root

I created a new user, but when I try to startx Enlightenment starts up but
not Gnome (at least that looks like what is going on)When I startx
Enlightenment's progress bar run and then I get a grey background with what
looks like no gnome. Everything works great as root, but not as the new user
I created. I've tried a couple thing in my ~/.xinitrc (gnome-session) but
nothing works correctly. It seems like if I just copy the .xinitrc that root
is using it should be just fine (I'm I just totally wrong or will this
work?). Where is the .xinitrc reside for root. Is it /X11???