Re: Installation problem

Tim, Marcus, thanks for your help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Lewis <talewis@worldnet.att.net>
To: Braden N. McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Installation problem

>Branden,
>Edit /etc/hosts and change the line:
>
>127.0.0.1  localhost
>
>to read:
>
>127.0.0.1  localhost <my_machine_name>
>
>My machine is called tlewis, so my host file reads:
>
>127.0.0.1  localhost tlewis
>
>This should cure your problem.

Yes, I think it did. I nolonger get the error message I was getting, and
Enlightenment starts successfully. However, I don't get the gnome panel. And
when I minimize a window, it seems to disappear to someplace inaccessible. I
get the impression that some other stuff is supposed to be starting up, but
isn't.

>  If not, cd to /usr, and type:
>
>chmod 755 share
>
>You may need to cd to /usr/share and type:
>
>chmod 755 *
>
>as well.

Okay... Is this likely to cure the problem I'm seeing now?

Another thing... The last several pixels of the desktop background are
devoted to a sort of reflection pool effect. It's neat, but clearly hampers
the responsiveness of the UI on my machine. How do I turn it off?

Braden