Re: Suggestion for making GNOME less dependent on E

---Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:52:56 -0800 (PST), James Ramsey
> <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I had always heard that GNOME was pretty much window-manager
> >independent. Then, after I've installed GNOME from rpms, I find that
> >gnome-session uses E as the default WM [if installing from rpm]
--snip--
 There's
> >got to be a better way to do this. I suggest adding an option to
> >gnome-session, like this:
> >
> >gnome-session --fallback-WM 'FooWM --options blah blah'
>
> This is hackish - you are wanting special treatment of the window
manager
> where currently none exists

> If as a sysadmin you wish to change the window manager in the default
> session, edit $prefix/share/default.session

I think you are half-right in that my *particular* proposed solution
is not the best. However, I think there's got to be a better way to
change the default window manager that to hack a config file. An
X-based solution is not a good idea here, since that puts one in the
Catch 22 of needing a window manager to change the window manager.
What would be, I think, the best solution is to have a terminal-based
utility for changing the default.session file, something curses-based
or looking something like linuxconf. This would avoid the above Catch
22, and would perhaps be helpful if something else in the
default.session went fooey and kept X from running.

Anyway, my own end user opinion.

==

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----