Re: Problems with running programs in the gnome environment

Hi again.

For a while I wrote:

> I have a lot of problems with compiling and running
> programs in the gnome 1.0 environment. For example
> I tried to compile "asedit", my favourite text editor
> (using LessTif, instead of the real Motif).
> The created executable works fine with enlightenment, or
> any other window manager. But after I have started
> "gnome-session" from a xterm, I get a SIGSEGV,
> when I try to execute it. After I have logged out from
> gnome, it works fine again.

I now found out that the problem doesn't appears, when
I start X Windows with "startx -- -bpp 24". It seems that
every time Xt tries to print a warning message to the
console (i.e. in this case that it is unable to allocate a
colormap entry), a SIGSEGV is caused. Have a look
at the following stack trace:
0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb) info stack
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
#1  0x402db790 in buffered_vfprintf ()
#2  0x402d66e0 in _IO_vfprintf ()
#3  0x402dee7d in fprintf ()
#4  0x401941b2 in DefaultMsg ()
#5  0x401943db in _XtDefaultWarningMsg ()
#6  0x40194525 in XtAppWarningMsg ()
#7  0x4018e461 in XtCvtStringToPixel ()
#8  0x4018d15a in CallConverter ()
#9  0x4018d3d3 in _XtConvert ()
#10 0x401a385c in GetResources ()
#11 0x401a3f74 in _XtGetResources ()
#12 0x40191616 in xtCreate ()
#13 0x40191f1a in _XtAppCreateShell ()
#14 0x40191f85 in XtAppCreateShell ()
#15 0x4019b703 in XtOpenApplication ()
#16 0x4019b78f in XtAppInitialize ()
#17 0x804b58b in XMapRaised ()
#18 0x402aa927 in __libc_start_main ()
(gdb)

So my problem isn't related to gnome at all. But I still would like
to know, why X Windows isn't able to print warning messages
to my console. I am using the Linux kernel 2.2.1. And the device
/dev/console is the same as the virtual terminal /dev/tty0.

Please help !!!!!!!!!