Re: Another Question

Stu Smith wrote:

> A guy awhile back mentioned something about creating a configuration script
> for installing/compiling Gnome.  It seemed to fade out of discussion.  How
> many of you guys are doing a clean install of Gnome from RPS, how many are
> upgrading an existing gnome with RPMS, and how many are expert-types
> building from CVS?

I've been upgrading...which is a pain 'cause I CONTINUALLY get errors.
I'd like to clean it out and start new, but since I'm a (sorta) newbie
who has a grasp on some of the more complicated stuff and missed a TON
of the basic stuff it's hard to get the kind of help I need...

> I, personally, really enjoyed wimping out and using the ,/install-gnome off
> the Red Hat 5.2 CD when it was released.  I don't suppose anyone has adapted
> that for use with later versions of Gnome...

honestly, not only did I ENJOY wimping out, the ONLY way I could get
gnome to install was to get a copy of the red hat 5.2 gnome directory,
edit the install script to FINALLY work, install it, and then upgrade.
NOTHING else worked.

there REALLY has to be a better way....at LEAST better instructions...

it's really a great project/desktop/etc.  I enjoy using it, and as much
trouble as it is, it's still not only more stable than win95, it's more
useful.
we just need to make it easy enough for the average schlub to be able to
get 1.0 "out-of-the-box" so to speak.

- The Hitchhiker

"The opposite of a trivial truth is plainly false.  The opposite of a
great truth is also true."
				-Neils Bohr