Major newbie install question

I would love anyone that could answer this for me.  Basically I am trying to
install gnome 1.0 (downloaded today) to a fresh install of redhat 5.2 on my
laptop.

I am following all the instructions that I can find, install the 3 packages
that it requires, then issue a rpm -Uvh *rpm to install gnome.

Then I see a screenfull of failed dependency messages talking about
libglib.so.1 and gtk+ and libgdk.so.1.  All these libraries exist in
/usr/lib

HELP

	TIA
		Craig