esound API

I'm trying to port synasthaesthasia to work with esound among other
projects I want to port. I have succeded with synaesthasia
except for a minor point.  When I try to open a esd_record_stream (so
that I can read from the dsp and get the cd output)  it messes up any
other sounds that are being played.  I'm assuming this has something to do
with the format and rate variables passed to the function.  Is there
anyway to read from a record stream without disturbing any other sounds
that are being played.  How exactly does the esd_format variable work?
The documentation in the header file doesn't explain it very well.
I could just put esd on standby and read from the dsp using low level
esound commands but I would still like to hear all other sounds.

Mike