Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

Jason Tackaberry <tack@dok.org> writes:

> Linux (and also GNOME) is under tremendous media scrutiny.  This
> means that any tiny shortcomings will be amplified.  GNOME 1.0 can't
> and shouldn't be expected to be perfect, but little and obvious
> details that are usually corrected during the debugging phase will
> stand out quite a bit.  And I shouldn't have to say that once
> someone like Jesse Berst experiences his first segfault, he will
> immediately report that the whole thing is garbage.  We're smart
> enough to ignore his rantings, but most of future Linux converts
> probably aren't.

If you read FUD magazine, expect to get FUD.  I downloaded and started
to use GNOME 1.0 from RPMs on my machine at work, and didn't
experience any quirks, bar a small control-centre theme selection
quirk - and I put it through some pretty tough ropes.

 "Release early, release often, and listen to your customers."
   - Linus 2:11

I'm guessing that the Redhat guys wanted GNOME 1.0 out way before
Redhat 6.0 went into late testing - with good reason.  Get all the
glaring bugs fixed now, before 6.0 goes live.  Look at what the next
Redhat release offers - the 2.2.x kernel, GNOME 1.0.x, maybe glibc
2.1.x.  A great number of people will get that release.

 "What are we going to do today, Linus?"
   - Pinky
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com