Gnome 1.0 (not a flame!)

Gnome 0.99.8 was looking pretty good, but it still had lots and lots of
bugs. So I'd set aside one day this weekend to submit a few dozen good bug
reports.

Then the Gnome hackers released 1.0. I felt this nasty sinking sensation in
my stomach, because 0.99.8 was nowhere near release quality. Perhaps
gnome-libs was ready, but it didn't seem as if anything else could possibly
be stable.

So I whipped out my mail reader and got ready to express some uninformed
opinions. ;-) Fortunately, I downloaded 1.0 and tested it before posting
anything.

It turns out that 1.0 is pretty solid. It could have used a few more weeks
of burn-in, but almost all of the stupid bugs are gone. If there are a few
more stable releases over the next month or two, Gnome will be quite
robust.

So good work, everybody! Congratulations for a year and a half of hard
work.

Cheers,
Eric