Re: comment on Gnome installation/compiling/debugging

> Thanks for pointing that out.  I've been having serious trouble compiling
> gnome from tarballs every since the 99.8 releases, and it has to be some
> subtle configuration problem.  But as you point out, there is almost no
> documentation regarding prerequisite tools and dependencies and so on.

I've had no problems at all compiling the source from tarballs.  The
trick is to isolate all the GNOME stuff into a directory.  I usually do a
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnome, and modify ld.conf and my path
variables accordingly.  That makes starting over very easy by blowing away
the gnome directory and starting all over.

Most problems that I've had with compiling, usually stem from the wrong
shared libraries being linked or old cruft hanging around in the
/usr/local directory.  (I've accidentally installed gnome components in
/usr/local causing grief)

We really need to get with the documentation.  I'm trying to take some
time and write something.  A GNOME support site that extracts fixes and
workarounds from this list would be very helpful.

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-356-1078    \|/