Complete system crash... possibly Gnome-related.

I have a relatively fresh install of RedHat 5.2 with the new Gnome "1.0"
release.  I left to go to lunch.  When I came back, my screensaver was
frozen.  I left basically nothing running on the system.  I could ping
it.  I could telnet to it, but it would never bring up a login prompt
(or any other messages).  It looked as if it had used up all its memory
(128 MB + 64 MB swap) and croaked.  I had to reset it.

The system lies behind a firewall, is made of all name brand components,
and has never crashed before.  It has all the RH updates applied.
Yesterday afternoon I uninstalled all my 0.99.8 Gnome RPMs (along with
the config files in my home directory, etc) and upgraded to 1.0....
seemed to work fine.  I had just setup the screensaver a few hours
earlier.

I'm not saying Gnome did this (I hope it didn't).  But I think that this
is Gnome-related.  I've been running Gnome since 0.99.0 on various
systems and have never seen anything like this before.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

System Specs:

Intel Pentium II 300, Asus P2B, 128M RAM
Redhat 5.2 (w/ all updates), Kernel 2.0.36
XFree86 3.3.3.1.  Gnome 1.0.0  Enlightenment version that shipped with
Gnome 1.0.0 RPMs
"Kumppa" Screen Saver