Re: GMC feedback / comments

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 11:23:45PM +0100, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Alright - (g)mc was the next thing to be checked out and I'd like to
> share my impressions.
>
> First of all it is still a little unstable and crashes frequently
> (current CVS version with fvwm-gnome-2.2). But that's not dramatic.

For me it doesn't really crash often, but it frequently gets confused.
(For example the relation between the directory tree and the icon
window gets lost.) In those cases a restart is the only way to get
back to sanity.

> I really liked the possibility to go into a tar archive as if it were
> a directory. Very nice and seems to work relatively well.
>
> When I drag something from the window onto the desktop there seems to
> be no way to drag it back into the window... which brings me to the

Dragging the icon back into the window works for me.

> worst thing (in my eyes): When dragging something onto the desktop a
> move is the wrong operation imho. Putting something on the desktop
> should be a *link* and if I delete the icon on the desktop only the
> icon should disappear - not the data belonging to it. I think it is

Why? Moving the file as default seems to be more consistent in my eyes.
A drag with the middle mouse button lets you choose.

> very dangerous if one may lose sensitive data by an accidental drag &
> drop maneuver...

Accidentally dragging & dropping from one gmc window to the other also moves
the file, so is equally dangerous.

> The one thing I actually considered useful about the KDE way of doing
> things is the way the programs / devices and such are being
> added... adding a "template" menu to the right-button desktop menu
> might make things a lot easier.

Do you mean adding mime-types and corresponding applications? (I've used
KDE for some time, but I'm not really sure about those templates anymore.)
Being able to add mime-types and actions within gmc is certainly something
that's needed (or is it there somewhere and I just can't find it?).

> O.k. - that's what immediately crossed my mind when using it,

The built-in viewer of text files has some scrolling bugs. Moving the
scrollbar gives a very shaky effect, and using the little arrows does
not have a real effect (it moves but moves right back). I've tried to
fix this, but have not yet succeeded. One of the problems is that
GtkAdjustment is a bit inconsistent (when the scrollbar is at the
bottom, and you click the down arrow, the GtkAdjustment value decreases
and the view scrolls one line up).

I just noticed that the radio buttons (or whatever they are called) in the
Layout menu, and the Icon/Brief/Detailed/Custom buttons in the toolbar
are not synchronized.

Dropping a file onto a launcher icon in the panel has no effect.

Directories that have been removed are still showing.

Ronald