Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

On 4 Mar 1999, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:

> Basically I believe it's a self-applied shot to the knee... a lot of
> KDE people are out there and the only thing that kept them from
> flaming GNOME was that one could always say "Hey, stay cool, it's

Hey, hey, hey. I use KDE. I don't flame anybody.

> still  in development". Now it is supposed to be stable and we're
> making it far too easy for them to find flaws. About 45 minutes after
> the GNOME 1.0 release I have read a posting by a KDE zealot about him
> "checking out GNOME now so he won't burn his mouth in the process of
> determining what it's worth.". So we are inviting a huge wave of
> negative postings.

Ah, a lot of these people would find something to flame, anyway. Flames
are not worthy of being given any thought. Pay attention to constructive
criticism and feedback instead.

Yes, my impression from using 0.99.8 was that Gnome lacks behind KDE ina a
big way. But isn't that natural? KDE has been in a stable 1.0 release for
a year now and they've had time to add features now that they are done
with the low level stuff.

> stable. I hate to play cassandra here but it is possible that a lot of
> the developers may be flooded by "help me" or "you suck" mails.

Help me can be avoided by creating good documentation.

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"