Re: New installation.

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Ashley J Dreier wrote:

> Hi there.
> I've been looking at building and installing the GNOME software on our systems
> here (Sparc Solaris 2.5.1 machines), and am finally getting around to do it.
> I've had a couple of attempts at compiling from the CVS sources, and have had
> quite a few problems, only some of which I've solved or worked around. Before
> I go asking any dumb questions, is there a list of what components of the
> GNOME CVS repository are required for a base installation?? Also, are there
> any general compilation instructions that may be useful for me.

I'd suggest the 1.0 tarballs instead of CVS, if this is an installation
for use rather than development.

> Currently I have the following:
> 	glib
>         gtk+
>         imlib
>         ORBit
>         audiofile
>         esound
>         gnome-libs

These are the core packages (I just left out audiofile in my last email to
Andy Kahn, oops.) You can actually build without audiofile/esound, which I
always do.

>         gnome-objc

This one isn't really necessary, a couple of tiny apps depend on it
and configure will automatically do the right thing if it's not present.
If you don't have an objective C compiler installed anyway, skip it.

>         libgtop
>         gnome-core

>         gnome-guile

gnome-guile is only needed if you want to use it for development, I don't
think any apps depend on it. (could be wrong.)

>         gnome-admin
>         gnome-games
>         gnome-media
>         gnome-network
>         gnome-utils

These are all optional.

> Other packages:
>         fnlib
>         stringlist
>         Eterm
>         ee

The E thing is optional too.

>         mc

And mc is nice but also optional.

It's up to you which components you want to have. I notice you left out
gnumeric, gwp, balsa, all these apps are in development. If you want them
I'd get gnome-print and gnome-xml too.

Havoc