Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

Anybody given any thought to the acceleration GNOME development will
experience after this nicely-publicized release and the likely
subsequent increase in the number of users and bug reports?
Additionally, is it possible that an avalanche of bug reports will make
it easier for developers to prioritize repairs and other improvements?
How about the possibility that releasing GNOME and trying to make it
good is maybe not about WINNING the Linux desktop in a competition whose
fierceness has been waaaay overestimated by shrill users and ignorant
reporters?  Okay, maybe it's a little fierce; I have no idea (BTW, for
examples of ign'ant reporting, see ZDNet).

I understand the wish to advocate and all, but these complaints are too
much about whether or not the release is a good political move and not
enough about the fact that this release will cause GNOME to get better
faster.

As for installation problems, I'll eat my hat if installing the 1.0
RPM kit tomorrow (downloading now) takes me more than 5-10 minutes.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one
who approaches that jewel."  Patrick Henry, 1788
    ___
   /.  \    Gregory Fall                Phone: 734-913-4662
   \/  /    University of Michigan      Fax:   734-763-7130
     \ \    2455 Hayward Street         email: gmfall@engin.umich.edu
   __/_/    Ann Arbor, MI 48109                gmf@dweezil.dynip.com