Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

These files are not all required for a "complete" GNOME setup. They're
merely the newest available programs that can be used with GNOME. Most of
those are not official GNOME components. Here's the stuff you really need
to install:

  GLIB and GTK+ 1.2
  GdkImlib 1.9.x
  ORBit 0.4.0
  gnome-libs 1.0.1
  gnome-core 1.0.1
  control-center 1.0.1
  mc 4.5.23

The rest of the stuff you listed doesn't matter as much. GXedit, Gnumeric,
gnome-pim, gnotepad, ee, gedit (etc) are just applications; gnome-objc and
gnome-python are just bindings to other languages and not much needs them
right now that I'm aware of; Enlightenment is only a window manager, and
is definitely a non-essential item (which is good considering how big of a
download it is! *whew!*). Etc, etc. Rather than thinking "Oh shit, look at
all the stuff I need to build to run GNOME!" you should be thinking "Oh
shit, look at all this cool stuff they've got ready for 1.0 already!"