GDM, and how to use it]

Hello All:
Last night I tried using GDM.  I began by trying it from the command
line. It started up a teal screen, totally blank, and stopped there.  I
read through the gdm manual in /usr/doc/gdm and verified all was well
against that document.  Everything seems OK.  According to the manual,
it seems to stop at authentication (this was noted at the terminal,
'CTR_ALT_F1'), before putting up a login window.  I checked /usr/var/gdm
(??) and looked at the auth file and it had a short string with my
machine name and NO_MAGIC_COOKIE (or something like that.  BTW, I did
try it the traditional way from inittab as well.  Any help would be
appreciated.
Tim