Re: Gnome canvas: should it be part of gtk+?

Havoc Pennington <hp@Mcs.Net> writes:

> Also, we want people to use Gnome and so we like to have cool
> features in Gnome.

Hi, because I was so vocal the last time this issue has been
discussed, I feel I have to say something this time, too.  I think the
conclusion back then was to leave the canvas in the gnome tarballs
because it was too experimental for inclusion in Gtk+, but it was
agreed that it should be renamed to GtkCanvas to make the migration
easier when it would finally happen.

I thought at that time that the argument to lure users to the
gnome-libs via the canvas widget was a very silly argument.  I still
think that way, but I now am also convinced that it is not at all a
problem to have to use the gnome-libs to get the canvas.  They have so
much extra goodies that any program will likely want to use the full
spectrum of gnomeness anyway, sooner or later.

So, I now think it's fine to keep the GnomeCanvas name.

> IMO it should make no difference now that gnome-libs is stable, most
> Unix-only apps can just use Gnome if they want Gnome features. The
> libraries do not require the desktop to be running and they save
> quite a bit of time and result in a nicer application.

Yes, indeed.