Re: GTK Themes and Font Sizes

Matthew Greenfield wrote:

> I was thinking on this the other day, and the idea I came up with rather
> quickly (whilst I was being paid to do something else :) was to have a
> simple theme creator tool, something that allows you to choose fonts for
> different program areas, sizes, colours, basically the basics :) .. and
> from that, you could press a 'Create Theme' button, perhaps along the
> way having a preview screen showing actively your changes.. then it
> could go ahead and make a simple gtkrc file that you could drop in, or
> preferably it could drop in for you..
>
> surely this would be a simple thing to make, being that it would need to
> only work with gtkrc files, not with the pixmap engine (which would
> require another creator tool altogether, perhaps?) ...
>
> of course, I actually know very little at all about the internals of gtk
> themes, so I could be speaking out my arse here :)  but it's worth a
> thought anyway..
>
> Matt
>
> Matt Martin wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Here is another usability issue:
> >
> > At higher resolutions and small monitor size, the 10 point fonts
> > people seem to like to spec into the GTK themes are making me go blind.
> >
> > It is simple enough to edit each theme EVERY TIME IT IS UPDATED and
> > enlarge the font size.  However, as I see it, this is very much an
> > issue of user preference.
> >
> > Has any thought been given to making the default font size an option
> > which is re-configurable by the user?
> >
> > thanks,
> >  Matt Martin
> > matt.martin@ieee.org

Any theme creator worth his/her salt (I know, I made the BeOS theme)
will leave the default GTK fonts alone. You need to edit ~/.gtkrc.
AFAIK, no themes mess with the fonts, so the problem is not with us, the
theme creators.

Problems with Gimp not respecting the above? Symlink ~/.gimp[-1.1]/gtkrc
to ~/.gtkrc.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals