Re: Task bar

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 01:48:36PM +0000, Mark Toller was heard to say:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm now using SCWM (love the configurability) and gnome, I've been
>  keeping an eye on gnome for a while, and its starting to look good :-)
>
>  Anyhow, I very often have many many windows open on one desktop -
>  netscape being a prime example!  This leads to a tak bar of little or
>  no use, as all the names are truncated to almost nothing, and it
>  becomes a bit of a guess as to which item you want.
>
>  One solution which may be of use here would be to group all similar
>  windows into one task bar button, which then pops up a list of
>  available windows... i.e. all netscape windows only consume one task
>  bar button, and when you click it you get the equivalent of the task
>  list button, but only showing netscape windows.
>
>  Even if this is a simple hack, such as grouping by the first few
>  characters of the window title this could be achieved, and all my
>  nxterms running VIM would appear under one button.
>
>  Any thoughts on this, or am I going to have to hack it myself (when I
>  get time).
>
>  Mark.

  WindowMaker has something rather similar to this; the best part is that you
can hide all the windows for a program at once.  This would be a very good
addition to the Gnome Panel and/or E.  Unfortunately I don't know how to do
it so I don't know how much my opinion really counts.. ;)

  Daniel

--
  Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

  -- Elbart Hubbard