Scaling of Gnome Icons

I have gnome installed on a laptop that produces only and 800x600
display.  When hooked up to an external display I get 1024x768 which is
a decent size to run gnome on.  My question is: Is there a way to
globally scale all the gnome native icons, like the taksbar/"start" menu
bar, the icons in the help browser and in gmc and so forth.  The icons
look fine on bigger displays but, gnome (and e, and AfterStep, etc)
icons take up too much space on 800x600 (not to mention 640x480).
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael Stearne