cvs compile error

I've been trying to compile various gnome and gnome related packages from CVS and I get this error a lot.

You should add the contents of `/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: configure.in: 29: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

I added the contents of libtool.m4 to aclocal.m4 and it still gives that error. then i get syntax errors on AM_* macros and the configure fails.

also. i remember seeing something once about a compile option to get balsa to use an address book. does anyone know what that is?

thanks