Re: a wish for file exploring feature

+++ Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 07:10:37PM -0400 +++
Ben Frantzdale e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> [I agree]
>
> This has been suggjested many times and turned down (for some reason)

And I can tell you why: because it would effectively make it
impossible to bind any other functionality to non-shifted alphanumeric
characters, and especially because we've got Control-S isearch which
will do exactly what you want if you just press Control-S before
typing the character.

> > Ok, id love to be able to put the focus in a file browser of some type,
> > and say the file 'afile' is highlighted.  I want to be able to type 'd'
> > for example, and have the focus automagicly go down to the first file
> > starting with d, which for example could be 'dfile'.  Windows has this,
> > and I find it very addictive for navigating around the File Explorer.

mawa
--
UNIX *doesn't* have a GUI. The Xwindows system is not part of UNIX. It
extends Unix to give graphical interface using a message interface.