Re: removing the panel, but keeping gnome

Since the panel is set on autorestart, you can't just kill it (a new panel
will be started by gnome-session).  Instead, you will have to log out of
gnome, and edit the file ~/.gnome/session and delete the entry for panel.

I am not sure, but it may be possible to also do this from the session
properties capplet.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au