Re: Theory question on desktop and gmc

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Michael ROGERS wrote:
>>Hey, here's an idea - Traditionally in X, middle-click is paste, right? So
>>we can use middle-click for maybe pasting files.. Imagine - Select a bunch
>>of files in gmc on one desktop, zip to another desktop with another gmc,
>>and hit the middle button - boom, files appear. Possibly also, select a
>>bunch of files, go to a window (say, gnumeric or whatever the GNOME
>>wordproc is) and hit the middle-button - files are inserted/filenames
>>inserted/OLE-style links, whatever.
>>
>>Yeah, I guess it's just dragging with a different face.. I'm guessing that
>>you can't drag between desktops so this would come in handy (well, maybe
>>you can in E, but not in window maker). And it *is* consistent with X11
>>generally.
>
>Great idea! Middle click to "pick up" a selection, do whatever you need to do
>with the left and right buttons to move to the drop site, and middle click
>again to "drop".
>
>By the way, is it possible to drag and drop files into archives? Perhaps we
>could have a MIME key which defines the action to be taken when a file is
>dropped onto another file?
>
>>I'm still stuck for something to bind to middle-drag, though..
>
>Add to selection/reverse selection?
[clip]

What about the following bindings by default for all gnome applications ?
Plus a centralized configuration for all of this ...

Left click: simple selection/highlighting (+ X selection)
Left double click: launch
Left drag on an object: normal drag of the object
Left drag on an empty area: selection
Shift + Left click: add to selection
Shift + Left drag on an object: drag of the object with confirmation
Shift + Left drag on an empty area: add to selection

Middle click: paste X selection
Middle double click: are you nuts ???
Middle drag on an object: viewport panning (or perhaps drag of the object
with confirmation -- dunno)
Middle drag on an empty area: viewport panning

Right click: popup menu (Windows style : click - release - move - click -
release )
Right double click: no joke !
Right drag on an object: popup menu (MacOS style : click - move - release)
Right drag on an empty area: popup menu (MacOS style : click - move -
release)

Cu,
Damien.

--