libpng, mlib and Enlightenment ..<SOS>:-).

OK... I have given up trying to solve this on my own ... that after
realizing I will be bald shortly due to tearing out my hair in frustration.
That is if I don't get help.

This is the problem, I had this fantasy of installing Enlightenment on my
system but could not because I was missing the mlib libraries. So I tracked
those down and found I needed the png libraries or ones that were more up
to date.
I hunted those down and installed them without a problem. Now is where it
gets interesting, I have the newest available version of the PNG libraries
v1.0.3
(let me know if I am wrong on this part.) and when I try to configure the
mlib libraries  it complains that they are too old.

What do I do with this purely rational machine? where am I wrong?

in other words Help!!
:-)