Re: Don't overlook Simplicity.

i have to agree with you there.  the first thing nearly everyone wants to
do when they open up a new computer is get online.  it's the first thing i
always do when i set up a machine (whether it be Linux or Windoze or
whatever).  The stock Red Hat 6.0 is fairly simple...if you know your way
around either netcfg or linuxconf.  This is where Caldera 2.2 and kde
makes a bit of headway.  the dial up networking interface on kde is as
easy as windows dial-up networking and works just as easily.

the one thing that has always bothered me about Linux (as an end user) is
the need to 'specify' that users may bring up/down the modem.  this should
- by default - be set to users.  if this is the case then it would be
simple to add a modem connection 'wizard' - at least i think.

but then you have to understand that i'm new to programming (just took my
first C++ course and am now teaching myself python).  so i may be off base
and i appologize if i am.

anyway...i think the end user needs to be the focus in any given
application...that does not mean that the application has to lose it's
philosophy - it just adds a touch of simplicity.  elegance in programming
can be a powerful tool and that tool can certain be used to facilitate
ease of use.

thanks for listening to me blather ;-) and by the way....the gnome team is
really doing some fabulous work!  that's coming from an end user.

\||/  J   A   C   K     W   A   L   L   E   N,   J   R.
 00   a prince -nay KING - among spookables
  >   get jack'd at www.techrepublic.com and get a clue!
 _    L     I     N     U     X  - the power of the people