Re: GNOME Summary, June 7-14

I was mainly pointing out that the current session manager has the
capability to set the DISPLAY environment variable for apps it starts up.

As for saving only the part of the DISPLAY variable after the colon, this
would break down if my X display was :1.0 on one machine and :0.0 on
others.  For most dual head machines, adding a simple modification to the
panel so that it sets the DISPLAY environment variable to a value set in
the preferences.

It may be possible to get things working by adding the following to your
~/.gnome/session file (I have not tried this -- I don't have a multihead
machine):
12,id=default12
12,Priority=40
12,RestartCommand=panel --sm-client-id default12
12,Environment=DISPLAY=:0.1

(you may want to adjust the numbers slightly, and you will want to update
the num_clients property in the file).  I have not looked at the session
management stuff much, but this may do what you want.  (I am not sure if I
got the syntax for the Environment setting correct, as I couldn't see any
applications that set the property).

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au