Need help with the GNOME png-files

Hello,

I´m trying to install gnome, I installed it from the source-files.
But my panel has problems to display some pictures. Instead the picture
I´m getting a little textbox with the name of the application, which is
configured behind the picture. Some pictures do appear on the panel like
the printer or the door for the logoff-menu-entry.

If I start the panel by hand, I got a lot of messages like the following
one:

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-stock.c: line 1196
(gnome_stock_pixmap_widget_at_size): assertion `im != NULL' failed.
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-folder.png
All fallbacks failed.

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-stock.c: line 1196
(gnome_stock_pixmap_widget_at_size): assertion `im != NULL' failed.
convert: Corrupt XPM image file
(/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-gnomeicu.xpm).
convert: Missing an image file name [No such file or directory].
gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-gnomeicu.xpm
All fallbacks failed.

I don´t think that my problem has to do with an incorrect version of the
libpng or imlib. (Am I right?) Because I´ve no garbage on my screen...
and some pictures seems to work.

I would be very happy, if someone could give me a tip, what´s wrong with
my installation.

Thanks in advance,
--
Joachim.Jaeckel@d.kamp.net -- http://home.kamp.net/home/joachim.jaeckel