Memory Leaks and fixing them

Hi all,

With many of the gnome release patches claiming memory leak fixes, it
seems reasonable to ask if by closing an app (or X entirely to close X,
Gnome and the WM) you also release any lost memory that leaked during
execution of that app, or to put it simply:

...Does closing a app release any memory leaked by that app?

P.S. Is there a web-area or mailing list for people wanting to discuss
ideas about what apps to build for GNOME? I'm going to be starting work on
a website management tool soon, and I'd like some input but I don't want
want to fill up the gnome-list for the obvious reasons.

Regards,
--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/