RE: Gnumeric Q..

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

->There is something similar to renaming columns in Excel for as long as I can
->remember using it.  (switched from lotus 123 after release 3.4 for dos;) )
->You can give columns names so that you can call them by name in formulas.  I
->just checked it out, and it leaves the header of the column the same (is
->still says A) but there is a small box that shows what the "name" of the
->column is.  I agree that we should keep the columns and rows lettered and
->numbered, but could we add headers to the top of columns and/or rows?  I
->wouldn't think that it would be that ugly to do, except that you could have
->multiple names for a given row/column/cell.
->	Greg

This is the principle of "named ranges", and is very different from
changing the name of a column (which would be messy). Named ranges are
very useful, and let you do far more than just easier referencing.

You don't need to rename columns. You've got all that space on the
spreadsheet to have a nice layout, with your own column names and row
names, lock them to prevent changes etc. Why start changing the interface?

I haven't looked at Gnumeric lately, but all you need is the ability to
freeze rows, and you can put you headers in row 1, with whatever
formatting you want, and have them follow you around...

I presume you can freeze rows in gnumeric?

   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     themes.org                 |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |