Re: Mixing tarballs and RPMs

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Bhola N. De wrote:

->Tom Gilbert wrote:
->> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
->> make
->
->I did the above two correctly.
->
->> make prefix=/usr sysconfdir=/etc install
->
->Instead of the above I tried 'make --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
->install' and I got error message.  Then I tried 'make install'.  I think
->it went ok in terms of putting files in the right directories.  Or, am I
->wrong?
->
->Thx.

The line will work as I typed it. Make does not accept the -- switches,
which is why you don't use them. What I wrote is correct, not a typo...
You will always get errors with "make --blahblah".

However, in most cases, make install will run fine if you ran configure
with the correct switches. I always send the prefix and sysconfdir to make
as well as a "just in case" measure. It *usually* isn't necessary.
Sometimes, however, stuff in the MakeFile will ignore config.h and take
its own values. I take the better safe than sorry approach, especially
when installing from CVS.

Tom.

   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     themes.org                 |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |