Multiload causing gen_util_applet to dump core/crash panel

When attempting (on Linux 2.2.5, Egcs 1.1.2, Glibc 2.1, Automake 1.4,
Autoconf 2.13, Libtool 1.3, with CVS Gnome) to add any
multiload_applet to the panel, the panel crashes, and a coredump is
left behind by gen_util_applet. This error gets dumped to stdout:

** CRITICAL **: file giop-msg-buffer.c: line 710
(giop_recv_buffer_unuse): assertion `buffer != NULL' failed.

** CRITICAL **: file giop-msg-buffer.c: line 457
(giop_send_buffer_unuse): assertion `send_buffer != NULL' failed.

Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x2c00007 unexpectedly destroyed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

aborting...

A backtrace on the coredump outputs this (I have compiled without
debugging symbols and with optimizations, so I'm not sure exactly how
usefull this will be):

Core was generated by `gen_util_applet --activate-goad-server
gen_util_applet'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x40433111 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40433111 in ?? ()
#1  0x40434447 in ?? ()
#2  0x40094fe3 in ?? ()
#3  0x400950a5 in ?? ()
#4  0x402d9cdb in ?? ()
#5  0x403409e9 in ?? ()
#6  0x4033f251 in ?? ()
#7  0x4033acf1 in ?? ()
#8  0x402e5907 in ?? ()
#9  0x402659f6 in ?? ()
#10 0x40022c34 in ?? ()
#11 0x804b976 in ?? ()
#12 0x4042ccb3 in ?? ()

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill