Configuration problems - what have I done?

  Hi,

I'm experiencing some annoying problems with Gnome - sure hope that
someone can help.

Background:  Red Hat Linux 6.0 on a Celeron 350 - new machine

The problem only occurs when I'm logged in as root.  Using gnome as
any other configured user is fine.  This is what makes me think that
the problem has to do with configuration.  Oddly, _sometimes_ I can
log in as another user - start Gnome, log out, log in as root and
everything will be fine.

The symptoms:
1)  verrryyy slow start up of Gnome.  Applications run fine once it
does start
2)  Cannot cut and paste reliably in Gnotepad+.  Sometimes works,
but usually will report that it paste was successful, but nothing
actually gets pasted into the document
3)  Cannot shut-down from the menu.  Have to stop Gnome with
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

-- Andrew
Andrew.Harvie@dal.ca
The Nova Scotia CAD/CAM Centre
P.O. Box 1000, Halifax NS