Re: Unable to run anything (including log out)

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Can you forcefully close X by using a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE?
>         Greg

Yeah, I can, although I didn't know you could do that when I posted the
message. At least now that means that I don't have to do hard resets.

Thanks to a message I got (thanks Wayne!!) we've found the problem. It
turns out that when pppd is run, the hostname of my machine changes from
"localhost.localdomain" to whatever my hostname becomes when I am
connected to the net: "something.freeuk.net". Because of this change,
I'm not authorised to use the X server (and so I can't run any X apps)
unless I use the "hostname" command to change my hostname back to
localhost.localdomain.

I'm sure I can't be the only person affected by this problem. Can
something be done about it?