A proposaly type thing

The purpose of this letter is to provoke discussion on the future of
gnome.....

Heres some idea's I have put together......
1) more seperation of interface from functionality. rather than having a
photo manipulation program (gimp) and a word processor (GWP, GO,
abiword). we could have a bitmap engine and a rich text engine, these
engines would provide the functionality that any interface program could
use. It would cut out a lot of duplicate code.
2) It would probably be based on  mime types.
3) These engines would be plugins so that you could replace them is you
did not like the way a particular engine works. engines could be loaded
as dependencies require.
4) this would require cooperation from most of the large application
makers in order to work. I know  that gimp developement is already
heading for seperation of functionality from interface.

Please contribute ideas, comments, anything helpful. Try not to flame
me. I am the worlds best coder and I may have missed many important
technical details.