Re: Gnome session mgmt vs WindowMaker-gnome session mgmt (Debian Potato)

>Let's just say that X11's window management spec is a little underpowered,
>and the sorry state of "ICCCM-compliant" window managers is evidence of it.
>(Perhaps GNOME should take the lead in producing a *usable* ICCCM-derived
>window manager spec.)

How about creating a new hint, WM_SESSION_ID, which we can guarantee will be
unique and persistent between sessions? Perhaps it could be a combination of
the session number and the X window ID. Make sure that all session-aware
Gnome apps set this hint (or at least put it in the gnome-hello tutorial and
the development docs), and make it part of the WM spec.

Michael Rogers