How can I improve stability of my GNOME installation?

Sigh. It seems like every time I try GNOME I cut myself on the bleeding
edge. My latest problem has been the panel dumping core when I dragged
a window from one virtual desktop to the next. I stopped using GNOME
after that, and am using KDE as I type this.

I'd like to use GNOME again, though, if I can find a way to get it
decently stable. I've been thinking of uninstalling my current GNOME
installation, with gnome-core-1.0.5, gnome-libs-1.0.9,
control-center-1.0.5, and gmc-4.5.31, and installing the GNOME rpms
from Red Hat 6.0. (Between the time of my last GNOME crash and today, I
upgraded to Red Hat 6.0.)

Are there any steps I can take to insure a clean, stable GNOME
installation that doesn't crash under daily use?

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----