Re: Netscape and GNOME

> I'm running RedHat 6.0, essentially out of the box.  If start Netscape, it
> always starts the same size.  When I hit the little "maximize" (does that
> have a gnome name?) button, it gets big and goes underneath the panel.  If I
> resize it so that the bottom of Netscape is not underneath the panel, when I
> hit "maximize" it gets big but doesn't go behind the panel.  Is this
> intended behavior, or a bug?

I think this is intended behavior in Enlightenment (it is the window
manager and not Gnome that handles resizing) The max size toggle toggle
works on maximum available size, which appears to be basically defined
as to the edge of the screen or until it hits another window. If the
bottom of netscape is above the panel than it stops when it hits the
panel because that is the next window, but if the bottom of netscape is
under the panel than it resizes to the edge of the screen because it is
already past the panel and therefore does not hit it. If you want you
can change to another window manager that has different behavior (Gnome
works with WindowMaker and I think I heard with IceWM plus I think
there's a patch to make Blackbox work with Gnome. There're also a couple
listed on the Gnome software map that appear to be in the very early
stages of development.) This was a little annoying to me also, but if
you always like your windows maximized there is an easy way around it.
Maximize the window to where you want it, then right click on a part of
the title bar that doesn't have buttons and a menu will come down, pick
"Remember State/Location" and "Remember State/Size" and from then on
whenever you open that program the window will be in that place and be
that size. With Netscape it remembers each type of window (browser,
newsgroup, etc.) separately so you will have to go through the process
with each type of window. (This is to prevent problems with windows like
the composition window that don't work right if maximized.)

	-Harry