Gnome and WindowMaker

Allright, I'm an idiot and I admit it.  I remember some discussion about
replacing E with WindowMaker as the default wm in Gnome, but now I can't find
it and I'm trying to do it.

Specifically, how the %$#^$ do I stop gmc from trying to do it's root-window
pseudo-icons trick?  Every time I try to do anything with them, WindowMaker
will die.  Usually horribly.

I've installed WM 0.60 from the tarball, not from the RedHat RPM (which was
0.52).  My .xinitrc still contains 'exec gnome-session' like it did before...
I've tried removing it and letting the system xinitrc start up Gnome, and they
still appear.  I've got gnome-config set to WindowMaker as the window manager
and THAT doesn't do it.

How does one kill them?  They're ANNOYING (heck, they were annoying when I was
using *E* as the window manager), an dthey kill the X session.

A pointer to the requisite documentation would be fine.

-----
Marc Wilson
mwilson@cts.com
mwilson@moonkingdom.net