Gnome session mgmt vs WindowMaker-gnome session mgmt (Debian Potato)

Ok, I'm finally really annoyed.

Is there a solution for disabling GNOME session management and using
WindowMaker's (or Enlightenment's, though it's not quite what I want)
session management?

(Debian's potato (unstable) distr'n is running gnome-session 1.0.5)

Set up:

	using gnome-session in the appropriate X startup file.

	the window manager capplet points to the gnome-capable
		(according to the deb :-) WindowMaker binary.

	I've got a few virtual workspaces, and windows/tools allocated
	to them in a semi-sensible manner.

	I exit the system from the gnome-panel.

Now, the problem is, that I'm getting double the number of programs
upon startup.  Some get placed in the appropriate desktop (I'm
assuming WM is responsible for this ;-), and the rest are placed in
the current screen (and I suspect GNOME, :-().

So, what I'd like is for WM session management to work, and for GNOME
to not do session management.

Thoughts?  (even "wait for a new version" would be helpful...).

best,
-tony